As a Fortune 500 company, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is an ideas and solutions company. Our corrugated packaging business seeks to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. Our white paper business delivers Paper With Purpose by providing the highest level of customer service and operational excellence. We have approximately 15,000 team members in more than 100 locations in the United States that strive to meet the local needs of our customers. Our mission is to serve the needs of our customers, today and tomorrow, with products and services that exceed expectations for performance and environmental responsibility.
People • Customers • Trust
Description of role: The Corrugated Business Associate is part of the GIFT (Generational Investment for Tomorrow) Program, which focuses on hiring recent college graduates into a rotational training experience with the goal of developing them into well-rounded employees and future leaders at PCA. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits.
What is PCA’s GIFT Program?
The GIFT Program is a comprehensive rotational training program designed to give recent college graduates experience in the major departments of a corrugated box plant and a well-rounded knowledge of the corrugated packaging industry as a whole. The program lasts anywhere from 10-12 months and has two career paths: Sales and Production. The departments included in the program are Design, Production, Customer Service, and Sales. The program also has group conferences where Corrugated Business Associates will network and participate in professional training with others in the same position. Upon successful completion of the program, the Corrugated Business Associate will transition into a new full-time role in the chosen career path either at their current plant, or another plant that has an opening that aligns with their skills and interests.
- Work closely and communicate often with the assigned GIFT Mentor throughout the program to help stay on track and reinforce the goals of the role.
- Rotate through the four main departments at a corrugated plant: Design, Production, Customer Service, and Sales.
- Work on any assignments or projects in the given department under instruction of the department supervisor.
- Learn about the specifics of how the main departments in the plant work together.
- When possible, identify issues and areas for improvement and present findings as well as possible solutions to the department supervisor and GIFT Mentor.
- Attend and participate in the GIFT program training conferences.
- Collaborate with other Corrugated Business Associates to complete projects.
- Work with the GIFT Mentor to conceptualize a career path to follow the GIFT program.Know and follow policies and procedures of the company, share information that would benefit other members of the team and find ways to improve the delivery of service to our customers.
- Strive to continually strengthen PCA’s business philosophy of meeting needs and exceeding expectations for customers specifically supporting PCA’s Commitment to Service that involves doing what is right for our customers, focusing on strategies that add value and support growth, and keeping the promises that we make.
- A bachelor’s degree is required upon starting the position.
- Must obtain Bachelor’s degree between designated dates: July 2020 - June 2021
- Ability to start position on a day between designated dates: November 2020 - July 2021
- Ability to work first, second, or third shift during the production department rotation.
- Must be able to travel as necessary and possess valid documents for travel via air and car.
- Must be a student or Alumni from University of Miami Ohio.
- A minimum of one Internship or Co-op is preferred especially in an environment related to the GIFT position type.
- Obtaining a Bachelor’s degree in preferably Packaging Science, Engineering, Supply Chain, or a related field
- The successful candidate must possess the following Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to learn quickly and put new knowledge into practice.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Leadership experience or strong leadership skills with the drive to lead others.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to network and build relationships with individuals of various experiences and professional levels both within and outside of the company.
- Quick and concise decision and problem solving skills.
- Previous work experience as a member of a team, or a strong understanding of the importance of open communication and information sharing between team members.
All qualified applicants must apply at Careers.packagingcorp.com to be considered.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.