Under direct supervision the Plant Accountant is responsible for organizing and coordinating the general accounting activities for the plant such as ensuring the day-to-day maintenance of a complete and accurate general ledger, preparing basic financial reports, and analyzing and reports or variances. This individual is also responsible for controlling changes to the chart of accounts, following up on past due accounts and collections, maintaining all payroll related records, maintaining all accounts payable related records, and complying with all federal, state, local, and company/corporate policies.
- Prepares, examines, and analyzes accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Engages in general accounting activities including the accurate and complete preparation, maintenance and reconciliation of general ledger accounts and financial reports, such as balance sheets, profit-loss statements, and capital expenditure reports.
- Analyzes business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations, to project future revenues and expenses or to provide advice.
- Ensures accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close, including the preparation of estimates and accruals.
- Develops, maintains, and analyzes budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs.
- Controls changes to the chart of accounts, follow up on past due accounts and collections, maintain all payroll related records.
- Conducts financial statement and analysis to identify trends and explanations for material variances and complete forecasting and budgeting tasks as assigned.
- Resolves accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Follows up with departments on information requests, customer credit issuance and collections, and transaction processing.
- Ensures accordance with legal, industry and business standards of financial accounting and reporting.
- Completes the plant month-end financial close process in the plant controller’s absence.
- Guides, develops, and trains Accounting Associates including assisting the plant controller in supervising the day-to-day activities of the accounting associates.
- Knows and follows policies and procedures of the company, shares information that would benefit other members of the team and finds ways to improve the delivery of service to our customers.
- Strives to continually strengthen PCA’s business philosophy of meeting needs and exceeding expectation for customers specifically supporting PCA’s Commitment to Service which involves doing what’s right for our customers, focusing on strategies that add value and support growth, and keeping the promises that we make.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance.
- Five (5+) years’ previous work experience in a business office / accounting function with exposure to general ledger, payroll, and/or accounts payable functions.
- Strong working knowledge of PC applications including Word, Excel, and computer software that handles expense reports, accounts payable, general ledger, check printing, or sales recording/analysis required.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S
- Previous experience in the manufacturing sector, containerboard and corrugated packaging industry.
- Seven (7+) years’ previous work experience in a business office / accounting function with exposure to general ledger, payroll, and/or accounts payable functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Solid understanding and working knowledge of standard financial / accounting procedures required.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to handle detail-oriented tasks and review multiple documents and reports.
- Above average written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate to multiple audiences and purposes.
- The ability to network and build relationships with individuals of various experience and corporate positions.
- Strong listening, evaluating and organizational skills.
- Previous experience working in a team environment preferred, or a strong understanding of the importance of open communication and information sharing among co-workers.