As a Fortune 500 company, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is an ideas and solutions company. Our corrugated packaging business seeks to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. Our white paper business delivers Paper With Purpose by providing the highest level of customer service and operational excellence. We have approximately 15,000 team members in more than 100 locations in the United States that strive to meet the local needs of our customers. Our mission is to serve the needs of our customers, today and tomorrow, with products and services that exceed expectations for performance and environmental responsibility.
People • Customers • Trust
Under the general direction of the Production Manager, the Production Superintendent provides general supervision for production, shipping, and other related functions as assigned. The Production Superintendent administers established policies and procedures to achieve maximum plant effectiveness ad to relieve the Production Manager of operating detail. The Production Superintendent is responsible for effectively leading a production team in the efficient and safe production of corrugated products. As a member of the plant management team, the Production Superintendent is responsible for evaluating opportunities to improve overall plant performance and profitability.
- Coordinate activity with the production manager to plan and manage daily and weekly schedules to meet production goals, prioritize work orders, maintain quality requirements, and assure an even flow of work through all the departments with to increase up-time and minimize unscheduled downtime.
- Maintain a clean, safe and injury-free work environment by ensuring health and safety procedures are understood and executed by all employees.
- Assist the Production Manager in enforce health, safety, environmental, quality, and continual improvement standards as set by the corporation and by local, state, and federal regulations.
- Oversee the daily operations of the maintenance department including predictive and preventative maintenance, planned shutdowns, and clean-up and installation of new equipment.
- Identify staffing needs, hire competent individuals, conduct employee trainings, oversee employee performance, and manage any disciplinary or termination situations.
- Conduct employee training on all equipment, protocols, production standards, safety regulations, and waste control on an ongoing basis.
- Analyze production performance, identify opportunities, make recommendations for process and equipment improvement, establish and execute goals.
- Direct and coordinate all production planning activities including production scheduling and processing, managing inventory, product delivery, and trimming the corrugator to minimizing waste.
- Ensure predictive and preventive maintenance programs are accomplished and repairs are completed on a timely basis so that productions and profitability objectives are met.
- Conduct plant production meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 7+ years’ of previous experience in corrugated manufacturing industry.
- 5+ years’ previous experience in a supervisory capacity at a corrugated manufacturing facility.
- Previous experience in coaching, training, teambuilding, performance development, and conflict resolution.
- Established knowledge of corrugated and packaging manufacturing machinery, concepts, practices, and procedures including continual improvement processes and safety practices.
- Working knowledge of computer systems including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook software as well as experience with manufacturing systems including shop floor software.
- Previous work experience as a member of a team, or a strong understanding of the importance of open communication and information sharing between team members.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, or electrical engineering.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively lead and communicate with production team and management.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with individuals throughout the company on departmental procedures, policies, practices, and requests for information.
- Strong listening, evaluating, and problem solving skills. Ability to create alternative solutions and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle numerous details, deadlines, and requests.
- Strong analytical, mechanical and mathematical skills with the ability to see and establish patterns.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple projects and/or requests concurrently.
All qualified applicants must apply at Careers.packagingcorp.com to be considered.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.