As a Fortune 500 company, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is an ideas and solutions company. Our corrugated packaging business seeks to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. Our white paper business delivers Paper With Purpose by providing the highest level of customer service and operational excellence. We have approximately 15,000 team members in more than 100 locations in the United States that strive to meet the local needs of our customers. Our mission is to serve the needs of our customers, today and tomorrow, with products and services that exceed expectations for performance and environmental responsibility.
People • Customers • Trust
The Sales Manager is responsible for leading the plant sales team to achieve sales goals, develop new business relationships, expand current customer relationships, and facilitate new product ideas and design based on customer needs. The Sales Manager proactively and creatively sells packaging and design solutions to address customer’s business needs.
- Develop and execute effective sales plans and programs based on a solid understanding of PCAs product and service offerings and effectively translate them into client business solutions.
- Maintain solid working relationships with each customer’s account representative/s and has a strong understanding of the customer’s business and operation in order to identify additional revenue opportunities for PCA products.
- Set sales goals and executes sales plans within an assigned sales territory and/or account with new or existing business.
- Build a strong sales team including recruiting and developing high caliber sales talent providing guidance, training, and performance evaluation for Sales Representatives.
- Understand the business of the assigned customer and exercise creativity in offering PCAs products as business solutions to retain existing business or earn new business.
- Identify and solicit new customers and establish buying cycles, investigate and validate business needs, demonstrate PLCA value add to their business, negotiate sales agreement, close and sign contract, follow up after order fulfillment.
- Conduct sales forecasts, determine price quotes, prepare account contracts, negotiate pricing, scheduling and delivery, and maintain sales agreements with customers to achieve or exceed sales profit and volume goals. Resolve escalated customer service issues by working with the associates in production, customer service, shipping, scheduling and /or accounting.
- Conduct overall account management, which includes maintaining accurate company records on current customers and ensure that information is available and accurate in the Cash Flow Management (CFM) applications, credit applications, forecasts, budgets and credit collections from delinquent accounts.
- Develop, maintain and analyze sales data and reports.
- Education equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree. 10+ years’ direct sales experience in corrugated / sheet product, packaging industry and package design.
- Previous experience in managing people with experience in hiring, coaching, performance development, and corrective action.
- Knowledge and experience in market analysis, cost estimating system, pricing, negotiation, and packaging design.
- Solid working knowledge of computer systems including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other job related software such as Cash Flow Management (CFM).
- Must be able to travel as necessary and possess a valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree in business. Previous experience with sales databases.
- Previous experience working in a team environment, or a strong understanding of the importance of open communication and information sharing among co-workers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Able to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple projects and/or requests concurrently.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle numerous details, deadlines, and requests.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with new people and solicit buy-in from various audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to network and build relationships with individuals of various experience and corporate levels both within and outside of the company.
- Solid financial and business operations analysis skills with the ability to identify opportunities for improvements. Strong negotiation and persuasion skills with the ability to create new business opportunities.
- Strong listening, evaluating, and problem solving skills. Ability to create alternative solutions and meet deadlines.
All qualified applicants must apply at Careers.packagingcorp.com to be considered.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.