As a Fortune 500 company, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is an ideas and solutions company. Our corrugated packaging business seeks to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. Our white paper business delivers Paper With Purpose by providing the highest level of customer service and operational excellence. We have approximately 15,000 team members in more than 100 locations in the United States that strive to meet the local needs of our customers. Our mission is to serve the needs of our customers, today and tomorrow, with products and services that exceed expectations for performance and environmental responsibility.
People • Customers • Trust
The Senior Accounting Associate is responsible for maintaining all accounting records and producing timely reports, analysis, and statements in accordance with company policies and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Post entries accurately and completely to the general ledger and verifies and balances general ledger accounts.
- Post, validate and process accounts payable transactions including the preparation of batch payment.
- Post and audit invoicing by making adjustments and corrections as appropriate.
- Follow up on customer accounts including customer credit issuances and collection activity as needed.
- Provide support with the processing of weekly hourly payroll.
- Assist in preparations of month end closings of the financials for the plant.
- Issue daily reports of financial matters, discrepancies, or irregularities to Controller as assigned.
- Maintain accounting and payroll files and backup documentation in accordance with PCA’s record keeping policies.
- Provide general administrative support including electronic and physical file organization and retrieval, copying materials and conducting electronic or fax correspondence as needed.
- Respond to corporate requests and cyclical filings in accordance with the Controller’s direction. Maintain follow-up system to ensure timely submission of requirements.
- Some college coursework in accounting.
- Three (3) years’ previous work experience in a business office / accounting function with exposure to general ledger, payroll, and accounts payable functions.
- Previous experience using automated accounting/payroll system.
- Strong working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Office preferably with exceptional knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Previous experience in the manufacturing sector, containerboard and corrugated packaging industry.
- Experience with financial systems for invoicing, credit/collections, expense reporting, accounts payable, payroll, and general ledger.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong working knowledge of accounting procedures.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle numerous details, deadlines, and requests.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple projects and/or requests concurrently.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to handle detail oriented tasks and review multiple documents and reports.
- Able to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment and handle multiple requests simultaneously.
- Strong appreciation for the retention and management of confidential information.
- Above average written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate to multiple audiences and purposes.
- Strong listening, evaluating, and organizational skills.
- Able to work flexible hours or overtime as needed.
- Previous experience working in a team environment preferred, or a strong understanding of the importance of open communication and information sharing among co-workers.
All qualified applicants must apply at Careers.packagingcorp.com to be considered.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.