As a Fortune 500 company, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is an ideas and solutions company. Our corrugated packaging business seeks to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. Our white paper business delivers Paper With Purpose by providing the highest level of customer service and operational excellence. We have approximately 15,000 team members in more than 100 locations in the United States that strive to meet the local needs of our customers. Our mission is to serve the needs of our customers, today and tomorrow, with products and services that exceed expectations for performance and environmental responsibility.
People • Customers • Trust
The Senior Staff Engineer will travel to various PCA locations to support projects across the organization (plants and mills) and can live anywhere in the Continental US as long as there is reasonable access to reliable air transportation.
- Provide technical support to the business and manufacturing operations.
- Evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications.
- Provide project management support across the business when and where needed as projects arise.
- Involved in developing business and/or plant capital plans.
- Make actionable recommendations based on sound engineering judgment.
- Manage multiple capital and maintenance projects, including initial planning, design, documenting, budgeting, implementation, and troubleshooting.
- Must be able to generate drawings, specifications, and instructions necessary to convey project requirements to others.
- Dedication to ensuring a safe work environment. Ensure that safety/environmental requirements are adhered to on all project designs and that all projects receive adequate hazard reviews prior to installation. Responsible for managing safety during installation/implementation.
- Coordinates and supervises work scope with outside contractors and engineering groups on various sized projects.
- Maintain projects on budget and on schedule.
- Write reports and give presentations based on analysis of information and written materials.
- Ability to organize, plan and work independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology from an accredited college or university. Other degrees considered with substantial experience.
- Ability to travel 80% of the time and can reside anywhere in lower 48 states with good access to reliable air transportation.
- 5 + years in an industrial paper and/or corrugating environment or design engineering environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to influence and persuade others; excellent organization and planning skills.
- Ability to work well with consulting engineers, local utility providers, and local authorities having jurisdiction.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Autocad (or similar).
All qualified applicants must apply at Careers.packagingcorp.com to be considered.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.