As a Fortune 500 company, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is an ideas and solutions company. Our corrugated packaging business seeks to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. Our white paper business delivers Paper With Purpose by providing the highest level of customer service and operational excellence. We have approximately 15,000 team members in more than 100 locations in the United States that strive to meet the local needs of our customers.
People • Customers • Trust
Position Purpose Summary:
The purpose of this position is to supervise the preparation and timely filing of outsourced sales and use tax returns and to provide data to the outsourced property tax provider. This position will also assist with sales and use tax account reconciliations, sales and use tax audits, research of complex sales and use tax issues especially those subject to judgment and interpretation, and responding to inquiries from company personnel and taxing authorities. In addition, this position will coordinate the gathering and submission of data necessary for the outsourced property tax provider to prepare the annual tax returns.
Over 100 sales and use tax returns in 40+ jurisdictions with $200 million of capital spend each year. Over 800 property tax parcels in 40+ states and annual property tax liability of $30+ million.
1) Work with outside firms to insure accurate and timely filing of sales and use and property tax returns.
2) Assist with state and local use tax audits. This includes procuring necessary detailed information, managing the audit process, discussions with the auditors, preparation of requested schedules, formation of dispute workpapers and support, post-audit documentation and communicating with various PCA personnel.
3) Review and approval on the proper handling of sales tax exemptions.
4) Oversee maintenance of tax licenses/permits.
5) Research and respond to inquiries and notices from state and local sales and use taxing authorities, vendors, customers, and company personnel.
6) Research and analyze complex sales and use tax issues. Must be able to effectively communicate these findings, both orally and in writing, to various financial and non-financial personnel within the company.
7) Monitor state and local sales and use tax developments, including understanding how these developments affect the company’s operations.
8) As a member of the Tax Department, the Tax Accountant is responsible for knowing and following policies and procedures of the company; for sharing information that would benefit other members of the team; and for finding ways to improve the delivery of service to our customers.
9) As a member of the Tax Department, and the PCA Team as a whole, the Tax Accountant is expected to continually strive to strengthen our business philosophy of Meeting needs, exceeding expectations for our customers. This includes supporting our Commitment to Service, which involves doing what's right for our customers, focusing on strategies that add value and support growth, and keeping the promises that we make.
This individual will be expected to work independently and bring all projects to conclusion before submitting for review to the Senior Tax Accountant, Tax Manager, Tax Director, and/or Sr. Tax Director.
Interactions with Customers and Contacts:
This individual is responsible for successfully maintaining relationships within the tax department and with all departments that interact with the tax department, as well as, external auditors and customers.
1) Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent is required and a CPA is preferred.
2) 0-2 years’ experience with a preferred focus in the state sales and use tax area. Experience in the manufacturing industry is preferred.
3) Attention to detail, accuracy, and consistently meeting deadlines are required.
4) Proficiency in Excel, Word, Tax Compliance Software, and On-Line Tax Research Databases is required.
All qualified applicants must apply at Careers.packagingcorp.com to be considered.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.